Wednesday 13 June 2007

Nutella is comfort food

Yesterday wasn't quite a good day... let's start with breakfast. We get to have hot breakfast every morning during the exam period right? So a lot of people got up early after dreaming about bacon or eggs or hashbrowns. And they went down to the dining hall. And saw... baked beans. And then they sighed and went to get toast. I had cereal, as usual, with lots of honey! Yum. Nutella was popular yesterday... they guys at my table were spreading such thick layers on their toast that I figured eating straight from the jar would have been more efficient. They were muttering about the lack of bacon and eggs the whole time, about how they should have just stayed in bed, throwing orders at each other to "Guard the Nutella with your life!"

So we had the FAHB practical exam yesterday. The first half was alright, except for one odd photo which looks like nothing I've ever seen before. But, as it turns out, we HAVE seen a similar slide before... different magnification, different stains. At that point, it just didn't look like anything to me. At least I knew the rest. Mostly. Almost couldn't find the last item though, because my cadaver was resting on what I was supposed to look at. Otherwise, the human anatomy and histology section was pretty okay.

But the animal bio section!!! GAH. stupid photos were incomprehensible. Black and white photos of the male and female reproductive systems of pigs, I ask you. How am I supposed to identify anything when it all looks pretty much the same? Sure I got the allantoic bladder but that's about it. And then I got some unidentifiable transverse section of some really tiny mammal. And the dissections... I couldn't tell what some of the structures were, and having broken organs didn't help. The people before me must have poked around a bit too much. It didn't help that they smelled a bit too. Of formaldehye.

How could I miss the stupid gall bladder?!?!?!?!?!

*rant over*

The ducks in Matilda Bay are so cute... I like seeing them sleep. Especially if they're all standing in a line and all their heads are turned to the left and tucked in. There was a little black cygnet too, which I saw the last time I was there. I suspect I might have seen its mummy before... I wonder where she is? Oh, no pelicans yesterday though... sad... Next time, I'm going to walk further upstream. Hopefully I'll get to see dolphins.

Ah yes... breakfast today was loads better... Bacon and tomatoes!!! Hahahaha.. yum. Really salty bacon, but the tomatoes hid the taste. But the best part? Nutella with cereal. Arthur is so going to kill me for it. Maybe I'll kill myself studying for FAHB and FMC first and save him the trouble? Oh gosh FMC. That will REALLY kill me.

No comments: